Hi everyone!!! If you already don't know, I am participating in the 15 Day Positive Affirmation Challenge hosted by Celestine Chua; writer and founder of Personal Excellence. Want to know more? Click the cool black button below!!
Today's Topic: Self-Love
Today's Challenge: Self-L<3ve
"Identify any self-hating thoughts you may have"
- I'm not good at it.
- Stupid, stupid, stupid
- My fat is ugly
- I can't do anything right
- I'm clumsy as crap
Identify the reason behind this self-hate.
I'm not really sure where my "self-hating" thoughts stemmed from, I think it's just a habit I became accustomed to throughout my life. There have been times where I criticized myself so harshly, I began to believe my own words. I think trying to fill that void of validation from others, in addition to wanting that approval; and not getting it played it's part.
Truth is, I was seeking validation from people without credentials and places without accreditation. Sadly, my falsified truths became the norm of my life.
Change your thoughts
- I'm not good at it , because I said I am not. Good doesn't happen overnight, good is earned and worked for. I can be good. I can be excellent at anything I work at.
- I make mistakes, that doesn't make me stupid. If anything it makes me smarter, aware , and educated. I will continue to make mistakes, because it is inevitable. So I have two options... learn and move on or beat myself up
- I am beautiful. I am a product of greatness. What am I telling God when I speak hatred into my life. If there isn't something I like, change it.
- I have done so much in my life and have made an extraordinary difference in my community. I must be doing something right. I am wonderful.
- I am clumsy, though I have gotten a lot better throughout the years. I will embrace my flaws, and laugh when they show, because it's a part of who I am . However, my flaws can't measure up to my extraordinary qualities.
Identify your action step(s) to love yourself today.
- I will pamper myself here and there, maybe put on a little makeup as a gesture to myself that "Hey, you deserve it!!"
- I will do what makes me happy, even if the entire world is against it.
- If I would scream to the world that I love the love of my life, why not scream I love myself to the world?
- I will go out dancing and treat myself to something nice
- I take a vow to myself that I will not allow anyone to disrespect, degrade, or devalue me. I am worth much more.
- Hug myself often
- Last but not least, I WILL LOVE MYSELF UNCONDITIONALLY <<<IT FEELS GOOD TO SAY THAT!!!>>>
HUG YOURSELF."Like, REALLY hug yourself LIKE YOU’VE NEVER HUGGED ANYONE BEFORE. Feel every part of your body, your skin, and your soul, in your arms. Let go of your personal barriers, self-hate, and self-criticism — LET THEM GO, LET ALL OF THEM GO. Feel the warmth and LOVE emanating from your body back into your arms and body. Close your eyes, pause for about 15 seconds, and just soak in this moment of self-love."
"I love myself unconditionally."
Reflection: This post was extremely meaningful, thank you Celestine. For the first time in my life I felt love for myself, real genuine love.The kind of love you feel for your family, friend, or significant other, the kind of love that is protective, defensive, on-the-look-out for those trying to hurt the ones closes to you kind of love, is the love I felt for myself. Boy!!!! Does it feel good, amazing, breath-taking, rejuvenating, relieving, stress-free, unburdened, compassionate, just pure AHH!!!
This is what love should feel like and this is the love I want and I deserve. To be honest, while I was writing this post I began to feel conceded and self-absorbed because I was talking about myself. But, I've realized that saying I'm beautiful, smart, and talented is not being full of myself, but stating facts. It is true that I am all that I say I am because I am made in God's image. I'm going to tell a quick story then I'm going to hit the hay. One day it was asked of me to discuss all the work I've done in my organization this year, and boy did I do a lot. I walked to the podium said what I had to say and sat back down. It took me less than 3 min. to say what I did and not because I summed up the year in a few words. But, because I was uncomfortable talking about myself, I felt I was bragging or boasting. What's funny about the whole situation was when I told one of my former professors what happened. This is what she told me, she said " humble people don't have to act humble...I'm not saying you're not a humble person what I am saying is that when someone asks you what you have done, say what you've done because it is true." She was right, it was true, but I don't think at that time I had enough self-love to appreciate the good things I've done. Even, when people give me compliments or give me some form of "praise" I down play it, because to be honest it was difficult to believe. Good thing that's changing, it's about time.
Letter to myself:
I love you and I adore you. I promise to always cherish you with all of my heart and soul. You deserve the world and I'm going to give it to you on a silver platter. You're the love of my life forever and always. And I pray that one day someone will love you as much, maybe even more than I do. I love you sweetheart.